What Is Meditation?
Meditation is simple.
It might not be easy, but it really is simple. All you have to do is stop thinking. (Oh well, if that’s all there is to it – then there’s no problem at all is there!?!).
Okay, okay, let’s try this for size.
All you have to do is slow down your brainwave activity and detach yourself from all the ‘outside things’ going on in your physical life.
Is that better..?
It’s a kind of… becoming still and silent sort of thing.
How do you do that?
Just sit or lie comfortably, close your eyes and relax.
You see your brain, in its fully awake and raring to go state, is operating at what is called the Beta level of activity…
This means it’s oscillating somewhere in the region of 15 to 40 cycles per second, and this is just too busy for the ‘non physical’ part of ourselves to communicate effectively with what we all like to think of as being the ‘physical’ part of ourselves…
We have to slow our brain speed down a bit for Meditation.
Slow it down and down – down through the alpha state (9 to 14 cycles per second) to the theta state (5 to 8 cycles per second).
Theta is the level of brainwave activity where, if you can get down to it without falling asleep, you can have communion with your divine self.
Of course, it takes practice to get to this level without drifting off into the land of nod but – don’t worry – if you keep at it you’ll get there.
In the beginning, though, just sitting quietly and slowing down into the alpha state will be sufficient.
But enough of the technical stuff…
- Find a quiet space in your day to be here now – that’s meditation.
- Ten minutes before everyone else wakes up in the house sit quietly with a cup of tea and see your day ahead – that’s meditation.
- Sit on the bus and let your thoughts wander freely in a day dreamy state, as you gaze out of the window – that’s meditation.
- Really be there doing the dishes – that’s meditation.
- Do the ironing – that’s meditation.
- Get lost in the dance – that’s meditation.
- Watch children at play – that’s meditation.
- Count your breaths, blessings, sheep!
- Still your mind of thoughts for a moment – that’s meditation.
- Enjoy what you are doing so much… time flies – that’s meditation.
Be watchful That’s meditation
Be loving That’s meditation
Just be the very best you, you can be right now – that’s meditation.
Now… Just Be.